If you have a broken, discolored, or misshapen tooth, a dental crown can restore your tooth to its former glory. Crowns protect weakened teeth and improve their appearance. At Ukena Kufahl Brandes Family Dental, we can install your crown and enhance your smile.
What Is A Dental Crown?
You can think about a dental crown as a cap for your tooth. A crown covers the tooth to protect and support it, so you can continue using the tooth without discomfort or pain.
When might you need a dental crown? If your tooth has been broken in an accident or damaged from decay, a crown might be the best solution for you. Additionally, our dentists may recommend a crown after a root canal or implant. After a root canal, a crown may be necessary to prevent future infections and restore the look and functionality of your tooth.
Tooth crowns can also be used cosmetically to give your teeth a more attractive color or shape. If you’ve always been self conscious about your smile, tooth crowns may be an option for you to boost your confidence and give you the smile you’ve always hoped for.
Dental Crown Procedure
How is a crown installed? We’ve shared the process of getting a crown, step by step.
- One of our dentists will prepare your tooth by removing material from it.
- After removing the outer material of the tooth, your dentist may add a filling or post to the core of your tooth. This will provide the tooth and the new dental crown with support.
- Once the tooth is ready, the dentist will take an impression of the tooth. Your dentist will also make impressions of the teeth above and below where the new crown will be to ensure the crown fits properly.
- Your impressions will be sent to a lab to make your crown. Your dentist may give you a temporary crown until your next appointment.
- When your crown is ready, the dentist will place the crown and test the fit, making adjustments as needed.
- The dentist will cement the crown into place once you both are happy with the fit.
Ukena Kufahl Brandes Family Dentistry is qualified and well-experienced to fit you with your dental crown and get it placed perfectly.
Different Types of Dental Crowns
A permanent crown protects your tooth long-term. You may hear different terms for dental crown material — such as in some of the more common types like CEREC, LAVA, PFM, amalgam, titanium, zirconia, and procera, but most crowns are simply made from plastic, ceramic, porcelain, metal, composite, or even some combination of those. Our dentists will help you decide which material is right for you. You may be given a temporary crown while your permanent crown is created. A temporary crown is made on the day of your appointment and will be removed when your permanent crowns are ready. Your permanent dental crowns will be cemented, and you’ll have your new teeth!
Dental Crown Fitting
The fit of your crown is the most important part of the process. If done properly, a crown can serve you well for many years and help you avoid having to pursue more involved dental implant procedures.
At Ukena Kufahl Brandes Family Dental, we take great pride in placing crowns of the highest quality material and fit. With one of our special tooth crowns, you can show off your beautiful smile again.
At Ukena Kufahl Brandes Family Dental, you’ll be treated like family at every visit. We listen to your needs to help you make the best decisions for your smile.
Call us to schedule an exam today.